Oct 21, 2012

Lay Lady Lay

   SPOILER ALERT: If you love "Lay Lady Lay" by Bob Dylan you may want to stop reading. Consider yourself warned - you may or may not find this destructive. Or, maybe you know. It wouldn't be the first time the world knew what I thought to be secret or sacred. Since I have a sole follower I feel like I can speak freely so I'll let it rip assuming that the public at large knows. Lady was Bob Dylan's fucking dog. Crushing.
   Curiosity is a dangerous thing, delving too deeply can shatter blissful ignorance. Peer into the depths below the surface of the golden pond and the luster may be tarnished or the choir might just stop singing. Lance Armstrong has been dethroned and yet another glittery icon is not gold. But even more surprising and more unnerving, the source of the iconic artwork for Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures" album has been revealed - see video below. Go ahead, it's a great piece and not entirely destructive. In fact, it has enhanced the legend the way Heart of Darkness enhanced Apocalypse Now. This has made me think about exactly what this symbol means to myself and how it has stood the test of time. The artwork, the band, the songs and all of the associated memories are still golden to me. Unharmed and forever safe. Hold your simple pleasures close to your heart and reflect on what they mean to you. Never let them tarnish and be careful not to unravel.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment